[Stratcom] CP site reformonsledroitdauteur.eu

Thomas Watanabe-Vermorel wvt at partipirate.org
Ven 6 Mar 13:10:38 CET 2015

Yop. Quelqu'un est assez bon en traduction pour ne pas merder celle là?

The  responses to last year's public consultation on copyright by the
European Commission clearly demonstrate the urgent need for the
harmonization and update of the European copyright framework that my
report proposes.

The  rejection of these common-sense proposals by some collecting
societies  in such a hyperbolic, doomsaying way reflects an utter
unwillingness to  adapt to change that does not do the artists they claim
to represent any  favours. It blocks both European integration and
innovation in the media sector.

But  their fear of the future is baseless. The copying machine did not
kill  books, the cassette did not kill the music industry, and when after
many  years of stalling and many unsuccessful fights against "pirates",
the  industry finally started offering works online in a consumer-friendly
manner, their profit margins actually increased. Similarly, none of the
recommendations in my report would have the catastrophic effects they  warn
about.

I  understand that those comfortable with the status quo would prefer
everything to stay like it is. However, it is not the job of politics to
shield entrenched industries from progress. Instead, we must  continuously
find a fair balance between different interests (like fair  remuneration
and cross-border access to knowledge) that maximises the  overall benefit
for our society, in the light of current circumstances  like technical and
social progress. This, and nothing like "abolishing  copyright", is the
goal of my efforts.